Sunday, August 30, 2015

Words from a wise sister

I have the great good fortune to have not one, but two wise and wonderful sisters.  Not only do they support me in deep and meaningful ways, they both have a habit of saying things that jolt me to my toes.  I am most grateful and blessed.  Below is the response from one of them to my last post entitled, "What is a digit?".  She too went back to school as an adult and received her bachelors degree a few years ago.  Can you say, "excellent role model"? 


Susan,

Ha! all the way through reading this, I was going to write you and tell you to just look it up and that math has its own language, but you figured it out on your own. I have no idea why they have to have a new word (and sometimes two or three words) to explain something that we know in plain English, but once you get the secret code, it’s easier to get in the clubhouse. Don’t let their pompous smoke screens bluff you out of this. AND as you keep going, you brain will stop having a knee-jerk stress response. It’s trying to warn you of danger - which is past now. It just needs to learn to play nice with numbers.

I’m so proud of you,
W

No comments:

Post a Comment