Saturday, March 26, 2016

This I Believe

Here's a paper from our ethics section.  I guess the take away from all of this, is that I have developed a strong set of ethics over the years without even realizing it.  It felt good to get in down on paper.  It also felt good to look back over many experiences to see how I have come to believe as I do.




This I Believe
Susan L. Fullmer
Boise State University

Author Note
UF 300 Assignment:  Ethics, 3/19/16



Table of Contents
           Abstract 3
           This I Believe. 4
           References. 5


My ethical beliefs have not come to me in one dramatic moment, but rather, by a serious of countless moments over a life time.  I have watched and noticed what is important in life.  I have questioned the beliefs I was handed as a child, and I continue to question everything that crosses my path.  I look for outcome, because I have found that that is where the truth of the process lies.  This paper discusses those beliefs and the formats they take in my personal and professional life. 


     The older I get, the simpler my belief system becomes.  I believe in inclusion, and I believe I should treat people the way I want to be treated.  And given that I want to be included, I suppose I could simplify my list by one less item.  But I feel so strongly about inclusion that I’m going to leave it in.  So, I’m down to two items on my Belief List.  I’d say it’s a good solid list, and it has served me well both personally and professionally.  My life has included a series of painful events – both as the recipient of the pain, and the observer of other’s pain.  I am a healer at heart, and so pain and the causing of pain has always perplexed me.  Why do we create it, if no one likes it?  And I’ll take that one step further, why don’t we do everything possible to prevent it?  From hard won experience I know that I can only change myself, and so this I do.  The world cannot know any greater peace than I feel within myself.  I believe that I create a more peaceful experience for others by being my own peace. 

     One thing I have learned, for better or worst, is that we become more like the people with which we spend time.  This, of course, can be used to our advantage both personally and professionally.  James MacGregor Burns presents a leadership theory which contains a strong ethical and moral component.  It is called, “The Transforming Leadership Theory”.  Mr. Burns believes that, “Leaders and followers raise one another to higher levels of morality and motivation” (Burns 1978, p.20).  I believe that we inspire others and are inspired by others simultaneously, which has a positive, moral effect on the whole. 

     Even though I feel solid about my ethical decisions, I don’t pretend that this is an easy process.  Especially between people whose moral values conflict.  Kidder (1995) refers to, “those that pit one ‘right’ value against another” (p. 16).  “The really tough choices, then, do not center upon right versus wrong.  They involve right versus right.  They are genuine dilemmas precisely because each side of the problem is firmly rooted in one of our basic, core values” (p. 18).  This is an area that I think I can improve upon.  In school, I am working towards a certificate in Dispute Resolution, and I know that this situation will be a challenge for me.  I found Kidder’s (2009) four examples of the dilemma paradigm model helpful in understanding right-versus-right choices.  They are as follows:  Justice versus mercy, short term versus long term, individual versus community, and truth versus loyalty. 

     There is something else that I have learned that helps in my moral decision making in all aspects of my life.  I know that we humans are much more similar than dissimilar.  When I am dealing with a conflict between people, I have found that if I get to the real heart of the story – all sides of the story – that they tend not to be so far apart as first thought.   Hearing the story can give me a better ethical compass from which to judge, and problem solve.  I find that there is often a solution that will be positive for all parties.  And this seems the best ethic of all.


Burns, J. M. (2003). Transforming leadership: A new pursuit of happiness (Vol. 213). Grove Press.
Kidder, R. M. (1995). How good people make tough choices. New York: Morrow.
Kidder, R. M. (2009). Moral courage. Harper Collins.



No comments:

Post a Comment