Saturday, January 5, 2019

My Relationship with Moss


I frequently listen to recorded books.  Last week I was browsing for a new book to “read” when Spirit lead me to Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses by Robin Wall Kimmerer.  I had just listened to another book of hers called, Braiding Sweetgrass. This is an excellent book that I recommend. I particularly like the concept of the Honorable Harvest.  




I’ll admit that I was confused when Spirit dropped the Gathering Moss book in my lap and said, “This is next.”  Kimmerer’s first book was a no-brainer as I have a long and loving connection with sweetgrass which I use for prayer and ceremony, but moss?  Frankly, I’d never really thought about moss other than, “Don’t slip on it when you’re hiking.” Yep, that was the extent of my relationship with moss.  

Kimmmerer, who is a scientist, has an amazing way of bringing science and Spirit together. She reveals that nature is not the concept of a resource to be used (and abused) but rather, a Being with whom we can communicate and commune in balanced harmony.  In Gathering Moss, she uses the languages of science, indigenous environmental philosophies, and personal stories to show how mosses live and how their lives are intertwined with countless other beings from salmon to humans.  It revealed to me a universe that I never knew existed.

And then came the moss meditation!  Every first Friday I participate in a monthly global water healing.  If you are paying attention, you will know that the water of this planet needs help.  I realize that we can feel overwhelmed and helpless in this endeavor. I know I do. But I also know that intention is everything.  And I intend to heal the waters. This beautiful group gathers Light Workers (which are all humans with good intentions!) to come together and focus our intention and love to clear the oceans and waters of toxicity, pollution, and radiation.  We intend to perfect balance in the waters so life can flourish there. All life depends on the ocean - it’s that important. Once a month we can call into a free meditation lead by a wide variety of capable healers. It is a meaningful experience and I recommend you check it out.  They have podcasted the last four and a half years of meditations.


So, yesterday I’m all settled at my alter with a candle burning and with focus on my breathing to shift my energy and prepare for the meditation.  This month’s facilitator begins by saying, “Today’s meditation is on moss.” WHAT?  Who does that?  I would have thought it was a joke, but of course I had been listening to the moss book.  What is going on here? All I can say is that the moss meditation was amazing.  If you want, you can experience it yourself at the link above.  Bliss out and be introduced to Moss. (January 4, 2019 podcast)

And by the way, if you want to listen to recorded books for free and you have a library card, you can do so with the phone app, OverDrive.  Hallelujah for libraries!

No comments:

Post a Comment