Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Brevity, business cards, and secret lovers

I have been searching my life for something fun.  Thankfully, I have recent assistance in my endeavor. (See blog post, "Blame the Dolphins 5/16/16)  I stumbled upon a doozie today.  As is so often the case with insight and discovery, it was right there all along.  I just didn't see/hear/feel/taste/realize it, until now.  I hadn't smelled it either, yet it was right there under my nose. 

My Creative Non-Fiction Writing professor, this past semester, introduced me to "Brevity", a non-fiction blog.

https://brevity.wordpress.com/about/




Shout out to professor C., one of those teachers who changes a student's perspective and hence a life's trajectory.  She has given me such insight into writing and being a writer.  It frightens me because as I suspected, the reality is vast and wide and I have just started to peek at its edges.  Oh, but it calls me.
  
Now that I am on summer break from school, I finally have some time to read Brevity.  It's been high on my "Things-I-want-to-do-after-finals" list.  So lovely, to be sitting on my porch drinking coffee and - the mother of all decadent behaviors - reading something which has not been assigned for a class.  This morning I read a submission by Gabriela Denise Frank, "Writing on the Fringe".  She talks about her passion for writing and seeking the opportunity to do so on the fringe of her life, around her other obligations.  In describing that situation she states, 

If you're like me, writing is not your spouse, your fiancĂ© or your steady.  Writing is your hot, secret lover who you only get to see in rare (and blissfully silent) hours stolen away from your commitments.  If you're like me, you don't have a business card with the title Writer on it, either - yet writing is central to your identity and if you didn't write, a part of you would die.

That statement got to me on so many levels, serious and random thoughts flit through my brain.  Do I have that kind of passion for writing?  I hadn't thought of it before, but I want a business card that says Writer.  I'm so ready for a hot, secret lover.

Wait, what?  I want a business card that says, Writer?  What does that mean?  Do I identify myself as a writer?  Am I allowed to identify myself as a writer?  Who gives permission for something like that?  Coming from the nursing world, you have to have licenses, credentials and external approval for that kind of undertaking.  So, how is someone deemed worthy of writing?  

As I am mulling these thoughts, I finally let it happen.  I allow the sacred reality to form itself into a clear sentence in my mind.  It would be pure bliss to sit on my porch every morning and write.  There, I've said it.  And even more ominous, I've blogged it.  No going back now.  

Ms. Frank uses these phrases to describe writing, "Frolicking in language and story", "The joy is simply everywhere", and "That’s what flow feels like, I realize—the sweet nectar of deep sensual ecstasy that erases the boundaries of time".  If that doesn't sound fun, I don't know what does.

Maybe I should have a business card that says, Writer at Play.  Oh, this is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment