Sunday, September 20, 2015

The scariest class of all


Yes, even scarier than math!  

     One of the most amazing things about my major is that I get to create my own curriculum.  Honestly, I feel like a kid in a candy store.  How long has it been since I've wanted to learn something - anything!  I haven't done so before because...(read my entire blog to know the answer to that story).  I figure I'll be here at Boise State for the next 15 years just taking all the classes I want to take.  What freedom to not be stuck in one major of predetermined classes.  I wonder if my sugar daddy, Uncle Sam, will mind funding 15 more years of undergraduate work.

     Given that I already, clearly know the answer to that last question, I must choose wisely and well.  Oh the pressure!  And given the fact that I am insanely considering a double minor of leadership and business Spanish (quick - this girl needs a reality check assessment - NOW), I may not have the room to choose much beyond those requirements.  Except for one class that I will stubbornly insist on, and will be taking next January.  "E 204", aka "Creative Nonfiction Writing".

     I have never, ever, ever thought of myself as a writer.  But truth be told, I find myself throughout the day constructing sentences.  Would it sound better this way, or that way?  That's a good word there, but is there another word that would work better?  And on and on.  Oh what joy.  But doesn't everyone do that?  It's only been recently that I have realized, and admitted to myself, that I actually do this thing, nearly every day.  And it's also only been recently, that I have admitted to myself that, no, probably not everyone else does this.  And what if, no one but me EVER does this?  Why am I always the freak?  Might there be anyone else out there like me?

     This class for me represents a shadowy, mysterious, possible representation of me that I neither understand, nor comprehend how it fits into my world, or any other world for that matter.  My fingers are tingling as I type this.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment