Sunday, September 20, 2015

With Tongue





     I can't help it, but I make this grimace - minus the cool facial tattoos - when I get a correct answer in math.  Maybe it's because I feel like I've done battle, and won!  All my math is done on a computer program called ALEKS so after I input my answer to a question, I hit enter and wait.  Then it will either say, "Very good!  Practice again.  If you answer correctly without help one more time, I will add this problem to your pie" (the graphic that shows what I have completed and still need to complete).  Corny, but it's what I long to see.  Or, if I get it wrong I get the dreaded, "Your answer is incorrect.  Try to answer again" - in red font no less.

     While waiting for ALEKS to compute, which can take even longer if the internet is running slow, I've noticed I sort of wrinkle my nose, and tense up, and sometimes I even forget to breath.  I don't mean to do this, it just sort of happens.  Then if the "Very good!" screen pops up, without thought or warning, my expression immediately goes to the Maori-like face, complete with tongue out and guttural sounds.  I can't seem to stop myself from doing it.  For this reason, and because I cry from time to time (see my recent post called "Wet Math"), I always try to do my math homework at home.  I think it best for everyone.

     Oh and BTW, can you tell I'm trying to get out of doing math homework?  I don't actually want to do math, I just want to write about it.

1 comment: