Monday, February 22, 2016

Discussion Board Post for UF 300

UF 300 Discussion Board
Understanding Others
2/22/16



    Have you had an experience that challenged and/or threatened your "framework"?  What did you do?  Did you change because of it or did you opt not to?

     Many, many years ago when my son was two weeks old, I found out that my then husband, was gay.  This was back in the 1980s when NO ONE was openly talking about the gay issue, not to mention the issue of being married to one.  I had been brought up in an extremely conservative family and community that believes fervently, that gay people choose to be gay, and are sinners.  In fact, being gay is about the worst thing you could do in life.  In the conversations I remember back in the day, it vied with the number one sin of being a murderer.  There is a famous (infamous) quote by one of their beloved leaders stating, it would be better that they kill themselves, than for someone to be a homosexual.  This was the world into which I was thrust, an experience that ripped me into many pieces.  I had hardly even heard the word “gay” before my husband disclosed this information to me. 

     I knew that my husband was a good man and father, so the information I got just didn’t make any sense.  During that experience I remember visually having a picture come to me one day.  I was standing at a fork in the road.  To the right of me lay the difficult path of discovery – what was this thing that had destroyed my family and my life?  On the path to the left I could plainly see myself with my head buried in the sand, going nowhere.  I went right.


     This decision eventually took me away from my community, and for a time, my family.  It was a path of actually talking to gay people, asking them their story.  From this experience, I got a much different version than what I had always been told.  I also heard horrific stories like the man that had been stabbed in the back while walking on the sidewalk, just because he was gay.  I met another man who has a tombstone erected by his family.  They disowned him and created a grave for him when he told them he was gay.  I learned of more stories as I started local and then a national organization for spouses, partners and ex-partners of gays and lesbians.  So much heartbreak and sorrow.  I was even on talk shows trying to get out accurate information on the subject:  Geraldo, Sally Jessie Rafael, and Oprah.  I have now talked to hundreds of people dealing with the gay issue. I came to know homosexuals for the people they are, and not by the misconceptions spouted by people who had never even talked to them!  And I now, of course, enjoy a rich life full of all kinds of diversity!  I wouldn’t have it any other way.

     As I was reading chapter five in, “Exploring Leadership”, I realized that the six stages of the Developmental Model of Intercultural Sensitivity, described my path to a tee:  Denial of Difference, Defense against Difference, Minimization of Difference, Acceptance of Difference, Adaptation to Difference, and Integration of Difference.  Yep, I do believe I experienced them all. 

    What is the connection between microaggressions and working toward cultural sensitivity?  (pages 202-216)  Have you ever been the recipient of some form of "microaggression"?

     I have had some microagression in my life, but it is so minor that I am not even going to mention it here.  Instead, I want to say that as I have become more culturally sensitive, and have talked to people of different cultures, I was initially shocked at how much this goes on.  And sadly, how much I, myself, have participated in it over the years.  I can say that I probably have never knowingly given microassaults which are often conscious, explicit racial derogations.  Perhaps because I am not the kind of person to do so, I was heartbreakingly dismayed when I learned that I was most certainly giving microinvalidations. These are often unconscious communications that excludes, negates, or even nullifies someone from a different culture. 

     As I seek out diversity, I ask how I can be more sensitive to a culture.  Education is the key.  I’m not going to say specific things I have learned here, because I’m not going to pretend that I am an expert in any culture other than my own.  But I will say that I find that if you ask someone sincerely about their culture, they will often tell you what works and does not work for them.  In addition, I think the Diversity Office on campus is a wonderful resource for this.  One example, was a “fashion show” they put on last fall that showed cultural appropriation in Halloween costumes.  Very enlightening.  I wished everyone could have seen it.  I do not want to, for example, wear a feather in my hair and wear an Indian costume because it is rightly offensive to the Native American population.  I shudder to think how much we offend other cultures by our (my) sheer ignorance.  

    Brene Brown offers many interesting tidbits in her TED Talk!  To you, what stood out as key to the role vulnerability plays, or MUST play, in our lives?  What is the connection between vulnerability and empathy or compassion?

     I am a huge fan of Ms. Brown.  In this particular talk I love the following three lines:

1.     “Design is a function of connection.”  I had never thought of that before.  She is speaking of creativity which can be applied to anything.  Personally, I apply it to leadership, which is something I will pursue after graduation.  I had not thought about creativity being a function of connection, but it makes perfect sense.  And I know that connection is imperative in leadership.
2.     “There is nothing more vulnerable than creativity”.  How many times have we said, “no” to something we really want to do, because we are scared?  I think the beauty of her over all message, is that we can and must go past our fear.
3.     “What is art if it is not love?”  That one gets me at my core.  I’ve always been lead to believe that art is inferior some how – it’s not that important to society as say, making money.  I know that’s not true, but this statement makes me realize why.


     Ms. Brown says that one must be vulnerable in order to have true empathy and compassion.  She calls it a vulnerable choice because empathy has the following elements:

1.     Perspective taking
2.     Staying out of judgment
3.     Recognizing emotion in other people
4.     Feeling with people.

     She states, that rarely can a response make something better.  What makes something better is connection.

     And I’m throwing this quote in for fun.  “Don't try to win over the haters; you are not a jackass whisperer.”





And don't miss


No comments:

Post a Comment