Thursday, June 30, 2016

Asking the Divine

A friend of mine asked me a question about healing yesterday.  If you haven’t noticed by now, the subject of healing is a particular passion of mine.  When I heard Caroline Myss say, many years ago, “Why don’t we heal?”  I literally bolted up straight in my chair will all senses humming.  What I didn’t fully understand then, but I have learned to embrace now, is that I am a healer.  You think I would have clued into that fact when the only thing I truly thrill about in life, revolves around this topic.  

I did some healing work on this same friend recently.  She reports that she no longer has the chronic pain that had prevented her from doing the things she enjoys in life.  For example, she has started to do yoga again, an activity that she had dearly missed.  This story is not an uncommon one in my life.  It is a typical outcome of the work that I do.


I find healing to be a complex, infuriating, awe-inspiring-beyond-words subject. I have thought about it, talked about it, ranted about it, pulled my hair out over it, almost nonstop for nearly three decades.  And yet, I sense that I have only just barely scratched the surface.


For example, I sit here today with chronic back and neck pain that I have had for 22 years.  This debility affects every aspect of my life.  I can’t even remember what it is like to be without pain.  I have looked at this situation of mine from every angle I can imagine.  I have been to many excellent healers of many modalities.  I have felt guilt over it and I have berated myself because of it – Physician, why is it that you can’t heal thyself?  


I mention my own plight to illustrate that I have literally looked at this mystery called healing, from top to bottom.  This brings me to my friend’s question.  She said, “Why is it that we have to ask for healing?” She points out that this seems to be a common thread in as many traditions as she could think of.  “Why doesn’t the Divine heal you without you having to seek it out?”  


Oh where to start?  I think the first place to start is semantics.  Let’s define the word healer.  It has been my experience after many discussions with many good healers, that we are not comfortable with the word.  Personally, I use it because it’s easy.  But it’s not accurate.  Call me lazy, but it’s so cumbersome explaining and disclaiming every time I try to describe who I am and what I do.  But here’s the truth of it.  I’m not doing the healing.  (Nor do I believe that any healer is doing the healing.)  I am simply channeling Divine energy with intention.  But it needs to be said, that despite my best work, the outcome is not within my power.  That, I must let go.


This is a bit off topic, but I will mention it here.  Traditionally, the word shaman cannot be used by an individual to describe herself.  Only the people can call someone a shaman.  This is partly why I am uncomfortable using words like healer or shaman.  It is not for me to say.  


So, if we healers are not doing the healing, who is?  Wish I knew the answer to that question.  I will however, tell you what I do know.  I rely HEAVILY on my Spirit Guides and Helpers when I do healing work.  If truth be told, they are doing more and more of the work these days – their suggestion, not mine.  Spirit keeps telling me, “You are doing too much; it gets to be easy”.  So be it.  But you get my point.  They are doing the lion share of the work while I hold space and do what I’m told.  Now, I may be wrong about this, but my sense is that they are channeling the same Divine energy that I am.  So are they doing the healing any more than I am?  I’ll just let us all sit with that question for now.  I will tell you this: in every healing session of which I have been a part, I feel the Divine.  Define that word as you will but for me, it is a distinct and real aspect that is beyond myself.  It is all knowing and all loving.  It knows me and knows the person I am working with.  Whatever aspect of healing comes about, it is the perfect outcome for the situation.  Including mine.  


Perhaps one reason we need to ask the Divine for healing is because if it were left up to us, we would fuck it up.  Take me for example.  If I had had my druthers, I would have been pain free after my first healing session.  What possible, positive outcome could have come from such a sucky, painful way to live?  And yet, if I am honest about it, I know that my pain path has taken me in directions that otherwise I would not have ever ventured.  Would I be the healer I am today if I wasn’t so fixated on what causes pain and what the hell can be done about it?  I think we both know the answer to that question.  Maybe God does know best.  


But I have more to say about my friend’s question, “Why do we have to ask for healing?”  It has been my experience that our Spirit Guides and Helpers cannot help us unless we ask.  I think that’s why we get so frustrated.  They are waiting to help, and we are not asking.  But I think it’s a good system.  Hear me out, because what would be the alternative?  They barge in anytime they think we need help – whether or not we want it?  I think not.  The current system feels respectful to me.  It also feels like a learning opportunity for us.  

One last thought.  We are not meant to live and heal in isolation.  Trust me on this.  I have tried for years to go it alone.  I’m constantly shown by Spirit that I need to reach out and ask for help.  So excruciatingly hard!  But the outcome does bring connection and yes, ultimately healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment