Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Final Reflection: Understanding Your Place in a Globalized World

My final reflection paper on my Globalization 420 class this semester.  Talk about an eye opener of a class!  Wowser folks, we live in a different world today and it effects us all.  The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.   




Susan Fullmer
MDS 420 - Globalization
Final Reflection
4/26/2019

Final Reflection: Understanding Your Place in a Globalized World


In the beginning of this semester we were told to write a paper about an experience we have had in which cultural differences played a crucial role.  I wrote about living in Venezuela in my early twenties.  It was my first real experience with cultural differences.  I loved the people and gradually I learned to love the culture.  But in the beginning, it was such a shock to see how different everything was from the food, to the customs, to the language.  In a way, what I felt was a microcosm of the fear and incompatibilities some people feel towards others who are not like them.  In an ever changing world that includes more and more globalization on all levels, we as earth’s inhabitants must find a way to get along.  We must see each other as more similar than different.  In the article, “Culture and Globalization” by the Suny Levin Institute it states, “The fundamental source of conflict in this new world will not be primarily ideological or primarily economic.  The great divisions among humankind and the dominating source of conflict will be cultural.”

My worldview changed dramatically from my experience of living in Venezuela.  I have evolved into a diverse person who is comfortable with change and with those who are different from me.  In fact, I seek it out.  I believe that I am this way in great part because of this life changing experience that forever sent me on a different trajectory.  I am always surprised when I hear fearful people speak about other cultures or “types” of people who are different than them. I feel in this world of globalization, they don’t have the luxury of walling themselves off to keep others out.  There is no such thing any more. We have discussed many aspects of globalization this semester: Trade, transportation, world religions, higher education, human trafficking, food, migration and etc.  We simply can no longer pretend that we are not a world citizen. What happens to the world, happens to us.

What I learned long ago from living in Venezuela has been deeply enhanced by taking this class.  There is so much going on in the world. But instead of feeling distant from it all, I more clearly realize that I am interconnected on many levels of globalization. This understanding applies to just about everything in my life, including my first trip to Europe this summer.  I will now be seeing that part of the world with wiser eyes.  I also intend to more closely watch these world trends and activities.  

As far as what comes next, I anticipate that some will embrace the positive aspects of globalization and some will continue to fight against those that are different.  I think our very existence as a human species will be determined by the outcome of this conflict.  And this is why it is so important to come together and work together in this challenging time of change and uncertainty on a global scale.  





1 comment:

  1. Susan, you're a beautiful writer. I'm happy that you are sharing this talent of yours with the world. I look forward to reading more of your blog as time goes on. The only way to capture a thought is through words. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete