Saturday, November 7, 2015

Author, Denis Johnson

     I've always been awed, and a little bit afraid of authors.  I mean, who are these guys/gals?  How do they do what they do?  Do they even live in our human realm, or just visit it on occasion?  I got to glimpse one of them last night as he made a visit.  Geesh, I'm even nervous writing about an author.





     His name is Denis Johnson and he spoke at BSU last night.  He's an acclaimed writer and is currently teaching at BSU.  I kept thinking all night, how do I get into one of his classes?  But I know I'd never have the courage to do something like that.  I'm quite sure it would require a whole lot of prereqs and a bunch more talent than I posess.  Ah, but to be a fly on that wall!

     But back to my God-like-awe of authors.  I was somewhat surprised to find him seemly shy, personable and humorous.  Very humorous, but in a subtle kind of way.  He mostly read some of his unpublished writings.  That was frustrating.  Other than to audaciously ask him if I could possibly photo copy his lecture notes, how am I ever going to read that stuff again?  I'm still thinking about some of his stories from last night - which to me, indicates a good read.  If it still has my attention days later, if I'm still trying to process the experience, then I know I have stumbled upon something important.

     In preparation for Mr Johnson's lecture, I have just read two of his books (aka in Susan's dyslexic world - listening to recorded books).  They were intense, difficult to listen to books, not meant for the light of heart.  And I can't wait to reread them.  There was so much going on, I'm quite sure I'll catch more on the next reading.  That's the thing about reading a really well written book, I know there are so many layers happening that I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding.  It makes me want to go back and dive deeper, to talk to someone else that has read it too, to get their perspective and insight that might help to further my own.  Oh the divine agony of it all!






     I was going to tell you about Jesus' Son.  I don't think I can.  Just read it.  I will say, that it was voted one of the best works of American fiction published in the last 25 years.  I'm still mulling it over.  Want to talk about it after you read it?







     OK, this one really got to me.  I think it's because of all the work I have done with Veterans as a mental health nurse.  If this author wasn't in the Vietnam war, he certainly did his research.  As far as I can tell, he nailed it.  Needless to say it's a gut wrenching story, but not your typical war story.  Wait, are any of them "typical" war stories?  Lord no, what am I saying?  So, this is one story.  Or rather, many intersecting stories.  And yep, I'm still mulling this one over too.

No comments:

Post a Comment