Monday, November 9, 2015

The Pop Tart Demise

     As in, my demise via Pop Tart.
  
     I've got an allergy to gluten...among other foods.  But I tell you what, I'm in gluten free heaven these days as everyone seems to be on that band wagon and suddenly there are so many grocery store options.  I don't even need to make a special trip to the health food store any more.  Even Winco has a gluten free section now.

     I tend to eat pretty health: organic when I can find and afford it, only ingredients I can pronounce and nothing that can survive a year on the shelf or a nuclear blast - which ever comes first.  I didn't always eat like this.  I grew up with your typical American diet of canned veggies, sugared cereals for breakfast, and processed everything.  Remember, I'm a child of the 60s.  I was well into my 40s before I understood the word, "tofu".  So my nostalgia, comfort foods. . . well let's just say, they shouldn't really be eaten.  My favorite meal growing up (that I got to choose for dinner on special occasions i.e. birthdays, graduations and other large, memorable events) was always the same:  Velveeta tuna casserole, which consisted of noodles and tuna swimming in a sea of melted Velveeta cheese.  Like I said, shouldn't be eaten.

     So imagine my delight last night when I found gluten free Pop Tarts.  Gluten or not, when is the last time I ate a Pop Tart?  Though it did not contain flour, I'm quite sure it was riddled with preservatives and other scary fillers.  I didn't even bother to read the ingrediants list.  I just wanted to eat a Pop Tart again.  So I'm sitting here in the SUB with coffee and a Pop Tart.  Yep, it tastes pretty nasty.  But I don't care, I'm having a slightly altered nostalgic moment.



1 comment: