Saturday, November 7, 2015

Introducing, Boise State University's newest organization!

     One day, not long ago, I was sitting in my Leadership 325 class when the professor was talking about vulnerability and connection.  Can I just say again, what a thrilling surprise it has been to talk about these kinds of aspects of a leader, in school - not what I expected, but so happy to fine them taught in the leadership field.  Included in this particular lecture, was the TED Talk by Bene Brown about vulnerability.  All of a sudden I had one of those intuitive moments where clarity dawns and I know, without any sliver of a doubt, what I am to do next.  I have learned the hard way over the years, not to ignore this feeling.  Even if it doesn't make any sense (and to tell the truth, these kinds of moments rarely do make sense).  I now know to just jump in head first.  The moment of clarity?  I am to start a women's spirit drum circle on the BSU campus - duh.    ;)






     I have been involved with this kind of group for 20 years.  It is a rock to me, a place where I recharge my batteries and remember who I really am and what I'm doing here.  It is a safe place where women gather to share their stories, a time to speak and a time to listen.  It is a place of healing that includes free style drumming from the heart, and guided meditation while sitting in sacred space.  This group is for women and persons who identify as female.  All female stories are welcome here.  

     I have seen, time and time again, how this kind of gathering allows for vulnerability, and then in turn, creates a deep connection that I rarely find anywhere else.  I can't wait to experience it on campus.



     And by the way, if you have not seen Brene Brown's work, watch this TED Talk.  Now.  You will thank me.

https://youtu.be/iCvmsMzlF7o

No comments:

Post a Comment