Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Mature Student

Don't you love my profile picture?  In truth I posted it temporarily because it's all I have right now (taken last fall at the Thrill the World 2014 Boise zombie dance - Google it if you haven't heard of it - it's international).  But then I realized it goes well with my blog title - The Mature Student.  Though looking at the picture perhaps one would think "old, decaying, dug up - and then started school" student.  Current thought - keep the pic.


Ah, but let me clarify.  The word "mature" can mean so many things.  Old, yes.  But I don't use that word when referring to myself.  I don't buy into societies concept of Old.  It seems so limiting and useless.  But at 54 years old and starting school in a week after 33 years of not being in school, I am feeling... lost.  And of course so many things have changed since I graduated as a licensed practical nurse in 1982.  Does anyone even remembers the early 80s?  I was going through some old boxes yesterday and found a ream of lined notebook paper and my immediate thought was, "score, I can use this for school!"  Second immediate thought, "Do they even use lined notebook paper in school any more?"  I have no idea.  It's these little unknowns that make me feel so off balanced right now.

I would like to think the word "mature" stands more for "wizened" at this stage of my life.  I may not be book-learned but I know a thing or two.  I've had experiences galore and lessons-learned aplenty.  I will also embrace how academia most likely looks at me, an older person who has been in the work force for many years and back in school as a freshman.  Whatever the definition, I feel confident, capable, clueless, and scared shitless.  

Writing has always been a way for me to process my world.  I have journaled since 1972.  Does anyone even remember the early 70s?  I'm going modern (being a current student and all).  I'm tossing out the lined notebook paper and creating a blog.  All of this sounds riveting to me, and most likely only to me.  However, whether you are a voyeur, cheerleader, or a good advise deliverer, I welcome you all along for the journey.  

1 comment: