Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Paper Is In

For the first day of school I marched onto campus with all the essentials:  map of the school, class schedule, laptop and lined notebook paper (just in case).  Turns out they do still use paper.  Lots of it.

So what was my first day like?  Have you ever had the experience where you are anticipating something that you think you might know what it's like, and you've read all about it and you've asked people who have experienced it, but you never tried it before? You can't be sure what it's really like.  Sort of like child birth.  Believe me, no one can adequately prepare you for that one.  Even so, my brain has tried to configure every possible scenario of what school in 2015 would be like.  I'm exhausted from it all.  Welllll, it was good.  So much better than I thought it would be.  Surreal and off balancing, but good.  Oh, and I have homework!  How sweet does that sound.  I know it's naive and we are in the honeymoon stage, homework and I.  I know that this sublime feeling may only last for a short while, and after...however many years it takes me to graduate...I may come to loath those words, "I have homework".  But for right now, it is sweet honey to my soul.

My teacher Dr. L was a non-traditional student. (Not sure I can/should use real names in a blog so I'll go with fake one's for now)  That's also me, a non- tran.  That means someone who is coming back to school after being gone for a long time.  We had been emailing about a question on the class when we made this discovery of our commonality.  She was so kind and supportive.  It made walking onto the big unfamiliar campus a much easier thing to do.  I knew one friendly person there and it helped that she would be my instructor, of all things.  I'm so grateful for small yet poignant blessings.  It's the little things that ease us through life I think.  Dr. L teaches a study skills class.  I wanted a good foundation for the rest of my student career.  Mind you, computers didn't even exist when I went to school (OK, I know they existed but no one knew about them and they filled an entire room so that doesn't count).  And I'm digging my classmates.  All under 12 years old (it seems), but great diversity.  I adore diversity.  And I love to hear the story.  Any story.  Where are you from? What brought you here?  Just for starters.

There were only three Boise long-time residents.  The rest of us are transplants from elsewhere and accents from around the world.  I want them all to be my besties.  Oh what fun!  OK, I know I'm being over the top.  I will cool it and be socially appropriate.  And I have already vowed to myself not to pull a Hermione Granger with my hand up in the air all the time (though the difference in this analogy is that Hermione would actually know the correct answers).  But I could see me jumping in just for the shear thrill of the discussion.  I love learning and I especially love learning and exploring in a group.  Maybe, I'll be "socially appropriate" but with a shinny glow around the edges.




You know she wants to raise her hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment