Thursday, December 31, 2015

We MDSers have grit!

     I find it interesting that I haven't really talked much about my Multiple Disciplinary Studies (MDS) class here in my blog.  This is my degree after all.  Looking back over this semester, I think I know why.

     This degree is for people who have been away from college for awhile, for any number of reasons.  It could be raising a family, military service, finical difficulties, medical set backs, or like mine - having a learning disability and being too scared to set foot into a school again.  Ever.  But whatever the reason, it's a wonderful program that lets you use all your old credits and develop your own curriculum.  And although developing my own curriculum felt like the best thing I could have hoped for, the reality is that it was a daunting task.  Or rather, it would have been a nearly impossible task if it weren't for the class I took this past semester called MDS 300.

     This class was all about us figuring out who we are and what we want to be when we grow up.  This is a question that I have often asked myself through the years, but I have never really come up with a satisfactory answer.  To tell the truth, that's another reason I never went back to school...and study what exactly?  Through a number of assignments, trips to the career center, testing of our personalities and aptitudes, and many other helpful activities...I came to know myself much better.  And I even have a clue as to what I want to be when I grow up.  A leader.  Don't ask me where or doing what, because I just don't know that yet.  But at least I have a direction to head, and that feels better than I can even explain.  Not having a direction pretty much leaves you dead in the water.  I know.

     And while all that stuff I just said sounds pretty cool.  The reality was, it didn't feel so cool.  Don't get me wrong, I don't regret any of it.  I would even go so far as to say that it's the thing I needed and wanted the most.  Trust me, I had tried to figure out some kind of direction on my own for some time, and I just couldn't seem to get it right.  Remember that "dead in the water" line?  This semester's process in this class, has been gut wrenching.  All the while, as I was shifting back and forth - letting go of the old stuff that no longer applied (or never applied) and finding my inner passions for life - I was a mess.  The last thing I felt was clarity, and I just wasn't ready to write about the mess.  Hence, not too many blog posts about MDS 300.  But if I haven't said it clearly enough here yet, let me say it now - this class was incredibly valuable and an absolute necessity to go any further in school.  I now have my curriculum, which I designed myself, thank you very much!  It's my road map to graduation and I feel really solid about it.  What a relief.

     I have two more things I want to say about this class.  First, my professor is the best.  She really helped me through it all.  And here's the really good news - she is also my advisor!  I get to keep my cheerleader for the duration.  What a relief.

     OK, here's the other thing.  Think about it.  Who are these people that sign up for this kind of degree?  These are people with a past.  A story.  And oh what stories!  Our final project was to write about our stories, and then to present our stories to the class:  Where we have been, why we are back in school, and what we want to do after graduation.  I cried more than once.  My classmates are the most amazing people you could imagine.  I feel so honored to have known them.

     One day, our professor showed us a TED Talk by Angela Lee Duckworth on Grit.  Professor K told us that whenever she though about the students in MDS, she thought about Grit.  I agree!




Dr. Duckworth's TED Talk on Grit

No comments:

Post a Comment